Vanilla Bourbon Cake with Buttercream Frosting
Unsalted Butter, for greasing the pans
2 ½ cups Cake Flour
1 ½ cups Granulated Sugar
¾ Tsp. Baking Soda
¾ Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Salt
¾ cup Plain Yogurt
1 cup Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled (or 1 cup vegetable oil)
¾ cup Water
2 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
4 large Eggs, room temperature
Bourbon Simple Syrup (½ cup Water, ½ cup Sugar, 2 Tbsp Bourbon)
1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
Pinch of Salt
4 cups Powdered Sugar
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. (If using a dark or coated pan, preheat to 325°.)
2. Grease cake pan/s with butter and sprinkle with flour to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan. For this cake, I used two 9-inch cake pans.
3. In a large bowl, combine Flour, Granulated Sugar, Baking Soda, Baking Powder and Salt.
4. Stir in Yogurt, Butter, Water, Vanilla and Eggs until no lumps remain, up to 1 minute.
5. Divide the batter between prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Using a toothpick, poke holes across the surface of your cake and brush or pour Bourbon Simple Syrup onto cakes (still in pans). Cool to touch before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
1. In a large bowl, add butter and pinch of salt and blend on low for 30 seconds.
2. Add powdered sugar in increments, until fully incorporated.
3. Add Vanilla Extract and mix to incorporate.
4. Apply frosting between the layers, and around the cake.