Strawberry Rhubarb Cake with Rhubarb Cream Cheese Frosting
3 cups Cake Flour
1 tbsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 1/4 cup. Whole Milk
2 tbsp. Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup. Fresh Strawberries, trimmed and cubed
1/4 cup. Rhubarb Puree
2 sticks Unsalted Butter, room temperature
2 cups Granulated Sugar
Whipped Cream Filling:
1 1/2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
1 Tbsp. Granulated Sugar
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 stick Unsalted Butter, room temperature
4 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 tbsp. Rhubarb Puree
Note to Chef:
My appetite for Strawberry Rhubarb Cake came in season before Rhubarb did, so I substituted Strawberry Rhubarb Fruit Spread for Rhubarb Puree.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. (If using a dark or coated pan, preheat to 325°.)
2. Grease cake pan/s with butter and sprinkle with flour to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan. For this cake I have used 2 9" Cake Pans.
3. In a small bowl, combine Cake Flour, Baking Powder and Salt. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, add Whole Milk, Vanilla Extract, Fresh Strawberries and Rhubarb Puree. Whisk to combine and set aside.
5. In a stand mixer, beat Unsalted Butter and Granulated Sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
5. Add Strawberry Rhubarb mixture and mix on low until combined.
6. Scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula, then add the eggs and dry ingredients and mix on low for 30 seconds. Bring speed to medium and mix until even consistency, no more than 1 minute.
7. Divide the batter between prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Whipped Cream and Frosting Directions:
1. In a large bowl, blend Heavy Cream, Vanilla and Granulated Sugar until thick and fluffy, with stiff peaks forming at the end of your mixer.
2. Use whipped cream between the two cake layers. You can even add fresh strawberries or reserve whipped cream to use as decoration, if desired.
3. In a clean stand mixer, add Unsalted Butter and Cream Cheese and beat on low for 2 minutes, or until pale and fluffy.
4. Add powdered sugar in increments, until fully incorporated.
5. Add Rhubarb Puree and blend to combine.
6. Apply frosting to cooled cake.