Pink Lemonade Cake with Lemon Buttercream Frosting
1 Box Mix White Cake
1 cup Water
¼ cup Vegetable Oil
3 Large Egg Whites
1 Tsp. Lemon Extract
Pink Food Coloring
1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
2 tbsp. Milk
1 ½ tsp. Lemon Extract
1 ½ cups Powdered Sugar
1. Preheat Oven to 350°. (If using a dark or coated pan, preheat to 325°.)
2. Grease cake pan/s with butter and sprinkle with flour to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan. For this cake I have used Wilton’s Easy Layer Cake Pan Set (6″ diameter).
3. Pour dry ingredients from cake mix into a large bowl. Add Water, Vegetable Oil, Egg Whites and Lemon Extract. Mix on low speed for 30 seconds to combine. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
4. Add food coloring to turn your cake pink. For an ombre layer cake effect, add small amount of pink gel food coloring or one drop red liquid food coloring to cake batter and mix in. Pour the first shade of batter into a prepared cake pan. Add additional food color to the batter mix before pouring the next layer and repeat until you have filled all the pans.
5. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool to touch before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
1. In a large bowl, beat room temperature butter for 1-2 minutes on medium speed.
2. Add milk and lemon extract and blend for ~10 seconds.
3. Add powdered sugar a little at a time to mixture and blend until incorporated.
4. Apply frosting between each layer and around the outside of your cake.