Orange Blossom Honey Cake with Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
Unsalted Butter, for greasing the pans
1/2 cup Buttermilk
1/4 cup Orange Blossom Honey
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 1/2 cups Cake Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 stick Unsalted Butter, room temperature
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
White Chocolate Bumblebees, for garnish
1 1/2 stick Unsalted Butter, room temperature
4 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
3 cups Powdered Sugar
1 tbsp. Orange Blossom Honey
Note to Chef:
Double the recipe if you are using 8" or 9" inch pans. You can substitute regular Honey if you can't find Orange Blossom Honey.
I substituted White Chocolate for the Bumblebee recipe to make them extra sturdy.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. (If using a dark or coated pan, preheat to 325°.)
2. Grease cake pan/s with butter and sprinkle with flour to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan. For this cake I have used Wilton’s Easy Layer Cake Pan Set (6″ diameter).
3. In a small bowl, whisk Buttermilk, Orange Blossom Honey and Vanilla Extract, then set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, combine Cake Flour, Baking Powder and Salt, then set aside.
5. In a stand mixer, beat Unsalted Butter and Granulated Sugar on medium speed until pale and fluffy.
5. Add Egg and Buttermilk mixture and mix on low until combined.
6. Scrape down sides of bowl with a rubber spatula, then add the dry ingredients and mix on low for 30 seconds. Bring speed to medium and mix until even consistency, no more than 1 minute.
7. Divide the batter between prepared pans and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
1. In a large bowl, add butter and blend on low for 30 seconds.
2. Add cream cheese; blend until incorporated.
3. Add powdered sugar in increments, until fully incorporated.
5. Add Orange Blossom Honey and blend to combine.
6. Apply frosting between the layers, and around the cake. Garnish with White Chocolate Bumblebees.