Lavender Buttermilk Cake with Lavender Buttercream Frosting
Unsalted Butter, for greasing the pans
4 large Eggs, room temperature
2 Egg Yolks, room temperature
1 1/4 cups Buttermilk
2 Tbsp. Lavender, finely chopped
3 cups Cake Flour, sifted
2 cups Granulated Sugar
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp. Salt
2 sticks Unsalted Butter, room temperature
Ticing's White Chocolate Sprinkles, for garnish
1/4 cup Whole Milk
1 Tbsp. Lavender
3 1/2 sticks Unsalted Butter, room temperature
pinch of Salt
Note to Chef:
Milk and Lavender for frosting need to steep overnight for at least 12 hours.
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. (If using a dark or coated pan, preheat to 325°.)
2. Grease cake pan/s with butter and sprinkle with flour to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan. For this cake I have used 2 9-inch round pans.
3. In a small bowl, add Eggs, Egg Yolks and Lavender, along with 1/4 cup of Buttermilk. Reserve the remaining Buttermilk for later. Set mixture aside.
4. In a stand mixer or separate large bowl, add Cake Flour, Granulated Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt and blend on low speed until combined. Cut butter into small pieces and add little by little until incorporated into dry mixture.
5. Add the remaining Buttermilk and mix on medium speed for 2 minutes. Reduce to low speed and gradually add in egg mixture. When all of the egg mixture has been added, blend on medium speed for 30 seconds.
5. Divide the batter between prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
1. In a small container, add Lavender to Whole Milk. Cover and refrigerate overnight, or for 12 hours. After steeping, strain the mixture and retain the Lavender infused Milk.
2. Whip Unsalted Butter on medium speed until pale. Reduce speed to low and add Lavender infused Milk and a pinch of Salt.
3. Add powdered sugar in increments, until fully incorporated.
5. Apply frosting between the layers, and around the cake. Garnish with White Chocolate Sprinkles.
White Chocolate Sprinkles were provided by Ticing. Visit their website for premium quality cake sprinkles made with authentic dark chocolate and white chocolate blended with plant-based colors.