Bourbon Chocolate Cake
Unsalted Butter, for greasing the pans
2 ½ cups Cake Flour
½ cup Cocoa Powder, sifted
1 ½ cups Granulated Sugar
1 Tsp. Baking Soda
¾ Tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tsp. Salt
4 oz. Semi-Sweet Chocolate, melted and cooled
¾ cup Plain Yogurt
1 cup Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled (or 1 cup vegetable oil)
1 cup Water
4 large Eggs
Bourbon Simple Syrup (½ cup Water, ½ cup Sugar, 2 Tbsp Bourbon)
1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
3 oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
Pinch of Salt
4 cups Powdered Sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. (If using a dark or coated pan, preheat to 325°.)
2. Grease cake pan/s with butter and sprinkle with flour to prevent the cake from sticking to the pan. For this cake, I used two 8-inch cake pans.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Add melted chocolate, yogurt, melted butter, water and eggs. Blend on low for 30 seconds to combine, then mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
5. Divide the batter between prepared pans and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Using a toothpick, poke holes across the surface of your cake and brush or pour Bourbon Simple Syrup onto cakes (still in pans). Cool to touch before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
1. In a large bowl, add butter and blend on low for 30 seconds.
2. Add cream cheese and pinch of salt; blend until incorporated.
3. Add powdered sugar in increments, until fully incorporated.
5. Apply frosting between the layers, and around the cake.